Linguistics has developed through collaboration with other disciplines to obtain more practical benefits in human life. The development of linguistic branches, interdisciplinary or applied, provides explanation more on the role of language in human life in many aspects. Various aspects related to language are studied with relevant disciplines, such as psycholinguistics, sociolinguistics, neurolinguistics, language teaching, translation studies, interpreting studies, and philology. Moreover, many other fields are deeply observed with language, such as law, geography, semiotics, health, and architecture.
The Linguistics Department of FIB UI has held many seminars, nationally and internationally, with the purpose to provide an opportunity for the linguistic researchers to present their latest research results. In addition, those seminars aim to develop interdisciplinary, multidisciplinary, and transdisciplinary linguistic theories. The seminars which have been held regularly by the Linguistics Department of FIB UI are:
- The National Seminar of Linguistic Roles in Health Sciences, Natural Science & Technology, and Social Sciences and Humanities, 2012;
- Seminar of Etymology Theory and Development of Various Languages, 2013;
- The National Seminar of Language Teaching in Cross-Cultural Perspective, 2014;
- The International Seminar of Semiotics, Pragmatics, and Culture: “Semiotic and Pragmatic Roles in Interpreting Global and Local Culture”, 2014;
- The 2nd International Seminar Transdisciplinary Linguistics, 2014;
- The National Seminar of Sociolinguistics and Dialectology;
- The Studies of Sociolinguistics and Dialectology in Indonesian Society and Cultural Context, 2015;
- The International Translation and Interpreting Seminar (ITIS), 2014 & 2016;
- The National Seminar of Semiotics, Pragmatics, and Culture: “Semiotics and Socio-Cultural”, 2016;
- The Third International Seminar on Trans-Disciplinary Linguistics (ISTL 2016);
- The International Seminar of Lexicology and Lexicography: “Cultural and Language Technology in Lexicology and Lexicography Research, 2017;
- Seminar on Sociolinguistics and Dialektology: “Change and Language Development in Social Life”, 2017.
Based on the experience of holding seminars and referring to the policy of the University, the Linguistics Department of FIB UI aims to unite all those seminars into a scopus-indexed international conference. The main topic of the conference we propose is: International Conference on Transdisciplinary Linguistics: “The Role of Language in All Aspects of Human Life”. This conference will present speakers from Indonesia and abroad, which also aims to provide an opportunity for discussion and enhancing professional networking in various studies in linguistics and other relevant disciplines.
The main theme of this conference is meant to open our horizon that linguistics is not only a science analyzing language structure and meaning. As an independent discipline, linguistics has the chance to play a role as a research analysis instrument in various aspects of human life. Whenever language is used in the practice or implementation of any profession, in that moment linguistics plays a role. This big theme is elaborated into many subthemes relevant with linguistic development and national issues which need to be solved through the aspect of language.
- Discourse Analysis
- Lexicology and Lexicography
- Educational Linguistics
- Translation and Interpreting Studies
- Sign Language
- Linguistic Studies with other disciplines (architecture, economy, law, medicine, geography, etc.)